WHAT IS HOT STONE THERAPY MASSAGE – ( about 60 minutes )
Hot stone massage is a deep massage technique that uses warm oiled basalt and sometimes cold marble stones used as a massage tools and soothing oils, to relax and soothe an aching muscles in the body. The warm stones are placed on multiple acupressure points around the body, and sometimes even tiny ones placed between the toes. The high iron content in basalt helps the stones retain heat during the massage. Hot stone massages are beneficial on both physical and psychological levels.
The stones are heated and kept warm in a digital pot heater, in water or steam and placed on specific points around the body, usually on areas of dense muscle tissue such as the shoulders and back, or placed along meridian points in order to help reduce energy blockages that might encourage the development of disease, illness, or be placed to treat organs or muscular tissue, or be placed for chakra balancing. Heat from the stones also has the benefit of geomagnetism from the Earth source; which has a balancing and healing effect on body systems.
HOW DOES HOT STONE THERAPY MASSAGE WORK ?
A hot stone therapy massage combines thermotherapy with different appropriate massage movements and techniques to provide an effective healing therapy. A hot stones massage uses the same techniques as a Swedish body massage but hot, volcanic stones are also used to warm tight muscles. The heat from the stones penetrates deep into the muscles and help to diffuse and relieve muscle tension much faster, and this makes it easier for deep tissue manipulation. Combining this with deep tissue movements, hand strokes and other forms of massage techniques, creates a powerful detoxifying and invigorating treatment. The heat from the hot stones help to expand blood vessels, which in turn encourages blood flow throughout the body. The hot stones have a sedative effect that can help to relieve chronic pain, reduce stress, promote deep relaxation and encourage the body to detox and heal. This also help to increase lymph flow and helps to flush out waste.
CONTRAINDICATIONS TO HOT STONE THERAPY MASSAGE
Hot stone massage is not suitable for everyone, and it is not advisable to eat a heavy meal or drink alcohol in the hours before hot stone massage. If you have any doubts that hot stone therapy massage might not be safe for you, then please check with your doctor or GP before booking for hot stone massage. The following is a list of some of the common contraindications, please note that this is not an exhaustive list of contraindications:
- Blood clots / prone to blood clots; Circulatory conditions; Open wounds, cuts or sores; Heart problems; Pregnancy ;Acute Illness, Fever;
- Recent Surgery / recent soft tissue injury – heat should not be applied to the injured area; Inflamed Skin Conditions; Sunburn; Peripheral vascular disorder
- Varicose veins; Bruise easily; Heat Sensitivity / Intolerance to heat
- Cancer, chemotherapy or radiations treatments; Immuno- Compromised or Depressed immune system- lupus, HIV/AIDS, Epstein Barr, mononucleosis; Taking medications that have side effects to heat – You are strongly advised to check with your GP or pharmacist if you are not sure before.
- Nerve Trauma and Neuropathy – damage to peripheral nerves- any condition that affects the normal activity of the nerves of the peripheral nervous system
- High Blood Pressure – It is advisable for people with high blood pressure Not to have hot stone massage. Blood pressure rises when temperature rises. So, hot stone massage can indeed be detrimental to hypertensive people.
SOME OF THE BENEFITS AND WHAT HOT STONE MASSAGE CAN HELP
Relaxation and Healing– The use of natural stones in conjunction with hand strokes massage techniques uses powerful earth energies to help the body heal. The benefits of hot stone therapy massage include the intense feeling of relaxation, as well as both medicinal and subtle energy upliftment benefits. The localized placement of heat on a particular area increases circulation of fluids, and can assist in alleviating organ congestion and may even dissolve masses.
- Quick and easier recovery and rehabilitation:- Hot stone massage can facilitate easy recovery from injuries such as sprains.
- Stress– Studies show that stress is the number one root of a lot of diseases and disorders. A hot stone massage offers some relaxing time for ther mind and does wonders in releasing muscular tension. This is one of the best ways to relieve of stress.
- Insomnia – Allows better sleep. It’s really hard to get a good quality sleep when you’re over fatigued. With the relaxation you get from this therapy, it makes it easier for you to doze off into a deep sleep which your body needs to recuperate from daily fatigue. This is why people who have Insomnia are often advised to get this therapy.
- Muscle Pain Relief and Back Pain: Manipulation of muscles can significantly reduce muscle spasm and give comfort to painful muscles so the hot stone massage is recommended for people who suffer from back pains or muscle aches. Stone Massage also helps musculoskeletal problems
- Helps Improve Blood Circulation and flow of energy : Because hot stones may also be placed on key points of the body known as energy centres which are sometimes clogged or blocked, this helps boosts and improves blood circulation, as well as release of stored tension . As the heat from the stones penetrates into your deeper body tissues, your blood vessels open, resulting in improved circulation. Poor circulation can lead to fatigue, which tenses the muscles, and a build- up of fluid and lactic acid in the muscles. Increased circulation delivers more oxygen to the muscles, which can help ease aches and pains, as well as help recharge the body’s energy levels
- Helps with release of Toxins: – Releases toxins from your body. When muscles are massaged, toxins that are clogged within are released. This is why, it’s advised that clients drink plenty of water after a session to help flush out those unhealthy and unwanted toxins.
- Mental Benefits:– Hot Stone Massage therapy can result in mental benefits as well as physical ones in some people. A hot stone massage may also help you combat some of the symptoms of anxiety disorders and depression. It is advised that hot stone massage therapy is not a substitute for traditional medical or psychiatric care, however, it can be an integral part of the treatment plan.
- Emotional Boost, Calming & Soothing: – hot stone massage encourages a happy feeling of wellbeing. A calming and soothing massage can do wonders in giving an individual an emotional boost, leaving you with a happier and more positive holistic and wholesome outlook in life, as well as the “FEEL GOOD” factor.
- The hot stone therapy massage helps you feel calm, deeply relaxed, blissed-out nurtured, pampered and very special.
Go on, make a booking with us at Bliss Fountain and indulge yourself…because you are worth it !!